Sunday, January 25, 2015

Math Tubs~Lazy or Genius?

Do you use math tubs? If so, please use comment below. I was exposed to math tubs while student teaching and immediately thought it was genius. Now that I have had it stuck in my head for a few years, I just can't decide - Is it lazy or genius? 

The whole idea of math tubs is that you teach a mini lesson, then have 5 tubs with different math activities prepared inside. The students can choose to do whichever one they want on each day as long as they complete all 5 activities in one week. There is some sort of checklist that the teacher signs off each day, it needs to be complete at the end of the week.

At first, I thought it was such a great idea! It makes the students so responsible in so many ways! Students are exploring on their own, and working with peers. Perhaps my memory isn't working well, and I can't find much information online about this idea but now I'm thinking...

Math tubs is a totally lazy idea! Sure it takes a little more prep, but that's a once a week thing! Also, are kindergarteners ready to take the responsibility of their own learning into their own hands? Do they really learn as much that way, as opposed to more small group instruction time? I'm thinking no. 

No comments:

Post a Comment